Check the bottom right hand corner of your health care card for expiry date.


You are responsible for renewing your health care card. Renewal can be completed four months in advance of the expiry date. 


Pack Travel Insurance Every Time You Travel
Your NWT Health card may not be enough to cover medical expenses outside of the NWT.
Patient Experience Questionnaire 2016


Your voice matters! Your input will help us improve our health care services.


Please continue to complete the Patient Experience Questionnaire for your appointment that took place between August 1st and October 15th 2016:

Caring for Our People
We are making improvements to the NWT health and social services system to better respond to your needs.
Attention Students: Are You Covered?

Please notify the Health Services Administration Office if you plan to be out of the NWT for more than 90 days at a time by providing a completed Temporary Absence Form.

NWT Health Care Plan - Information for Residents


This booklet provides residents of the NWT with general information on registering for a NWT Health Care Card and what it covers.



Ebola virus disease (EVD) is a severe disease that causes haemorrhagic fever in humans and animals.

There are no cases of Ebola in the NWT or Canada at this time. The risk in Canada remains extremely low.


Long Term Care facilities provide a wide range of personal support, physical, social and mental health services to individuals who require a high level of assistance. Facilities are designed for individuals who are no longer able to live independently in their own homes or with family, and require on-site supervision in a safe setting.
All eligible NWT residents should register to get an NWT Health Care Card. It is important that you carry your health care card with you at all times. You may be asked to show it when you visit a doctor’s office, hospital or health centre.

The Department seeks to discourage tobacco use to ensure that people who do not smoke never start and support Northerners in their efforts to quit.  Significant efforts are also being made to protect NWT residents from environmental tobacco smoke (second-hand smoke).

Contact Us

For more information on health promotion, contact:

Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
6th Floor, Centre Square Tower - Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Phone: (867) 873-7046
Fax: (867) 873-7706

The Do I Need to See the Nurse / Doctor handbook provides information about common minor health problems, practical tips on treating these problems and advice as to when people should contact a health professional.