Reducing Risk, Protecting Health
Working within the Population Health Division and in co-operation with the Chief Public Health Officer, Environmental Health helps protect human health by managing potential health risk to the population.
Who We Are
The Environmental Health Team consists of seven Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) and one support staff person that are located in Hay River, Inuvik and Yellowknife. The EHOs are certified public health inspectors through the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI).
What We Do
EHOs spend most of their time with these topics:
EHOs employ a number of methods to protect the health of the public, such as providing:
- Advice on how to get rid of bed bugs.
- Food Safety training to restaurant workers.
- Enforcement of the Public Health Act and Regulations.
- Investigations of rental housing complaints like mould presence.
- Inspections of water supply systems.
- Investigations of communicable diseases like E. coli.
Environmental Health News and Advisories