Environmental Health Officers (EHOs) inspect food establishments in order to ensure compliance with the Food Establishment Safety Regulations and the Public Health Act. EHOs investigate foodborne illness complaints and provide valuable information about food safety to the public. Also, EHOs teach the NWT Food Safety Course to food handlers. The goal of the Food Safety Program is to reduce the numbers of foodborne illnesses.
A Food Establishment Permit may be required for any place where food is handled and intended for public consumption. Inspection reports of food establishments can be viewed here.
Information for Food Establishment Operators and Workers
- Food Establishment permit application form (Annual, Seasonal and Temporary)
- Food Establishment Safety Regulations
- Public Health Act
- Food Retail and Food Services Code
- Food Safety (Health Canada)
- Food & Your Health (BC Centre for Disease Control)
- Food Safety Programs
- Food Safety Tips for Canadians (Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education)