Did you know that in the NWT:
- More NWT residents die as a result of injury than from any other cause.
- NWT residents are 2.3 times more likely to die from an injury than Canadians living in the rest of Canada.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury-related hospitalization:
- 28% of hospitalizations for all ages
- 68% of hospitalizations of elders
- 13% of elder-deaths
- 22% of all injury deaths are caused by motor-vehicle related trauma.
- Drowning accounts for 11% of deaths (all ages) - 17% of child deaths (age 0-14).
- Heavy drinking is the foremost risk factor for injury and injury-death.
Most of these hospitalizations and deaths were preventable!
For more information on health promotion, contact:
Health Promotion Unit
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
6th Floor, Centre Square Tower - Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9
Phone: (867) 873-7046
Fax: (867) 873-7706