Families wanting information on adopting a child or birth parents considering a plan of adoption can contact Adoption Services at:

Department of Health & Social Services

Adoption Services
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
5015-49th Street (6th Floor) - Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2L9
Phone: (867) 767-9061 ext. 49170
Fax: (867) 873-7706

HSS Authorities

Beaufort-Delta Health and Social Services Authority
Bag 2
Inuvik, NT  X0E 0T0
Phone: (867) 777-8146
Fax: (867) 777-2422

Dehcho Health and Social Services Authority 
Box 240
Fort Simpson, NT  X0E 0N0
Phone: (867) 695-3815
Fax: (867) 695-2920

Fort Smith Health and Social Services Authority
Box 1080
Fort Smith, NT  X0E 0P0
Phone: (867) 872-6200
Fax: (867) 872-6275

Hay River Health and Social Services Authority
#3 Gaetz Drive
Hay River, NT  X0E 0R8
Phone: (867) 874-7115
Fax: (867) 874-3377

Tlicho Community Services Agency
Bag 5
Behchoko, NT  X0E 0Y0
Phone: (867) 392-3000
Fax: (867) 392-3001

Yellowknife Health and Social Services Authority
Jan Stirling Building
4702 Franklin Avenue
Yellowknife, NT  X1A 2N5
Phone: (867) 873-7276
Fax: (867) 873-0289

Frequently Asked Questions

Although I do not live in the NWT, can I still adopt a child from the NWT?

For departmental adoptions (children in care of the Director of Child and Family Services), very few placements are arranged placing northern children outside of the Northwest Territories. The majority of our children are Aboriginal and every effort is made to maintain them within their own culture and environment. Only when all available resources have been exhausted will consideration be given towards placement in another jurisdiction, and then only with the approval and authorization of the child's respective aboriginal community. All provinces/territories maintain similar policies with respect to their children-in-care.

The NWT has no private, licensed agencies for private adoptions. The birth parents make arrangements with adoptive parents (usually persons known to them). The adoption process is finalized by a lawyer.

Your options are to contact the Child and Family Services office in your community to find out about adoptions within your province/territory. Another resource is the Adoptions Council of Canada, for more information on children available for adoption across the country.

* If you are interested in adopting an older child, or a child with special needs, please contact Adoption Services at (867) 873-7943 for an Application to Adopt form to begin the approval process.




5015-49th Street (6th Floor)