This program helps people deal with a variety of issues including mental health issues, addictions and family violence. Counselling services are available free-of-charge to every NWT resident, in every region.
The program is staffed by Mental Health and Addiction Counsellors and Community Wellness Workers who:
- Help to determine client needs and develop a treatment plan;
- Assess a client’s readiness for treatment;
- Provide referrals or access to other services that best fit the individual needs (i.e. community-based treatment, counselling, residential addictions treatment);
- Support the development of skills to cope with stress and prevent relapse;
- Educate about communication and problem-solving skills;
- Provide support to build self confidence and self-esteem; and
Provide aftercare support when individuals return to the communities after residential addictions treatment.